Dialysis and NPR

World Kidney Day DCWhile I was in Washington, DC for the Dialysis Patient Citizen fly-in, National Public Radio’s Ailsa Chang did an interview with me while reporting on “Access to Your Congressman”.  It was a great opportunity to get the word out about DPC and the efforts of dialysis patients to get access to their members of Congress.  You can read a transcript of the report or listen to the recording by CLICKING HERE.

Advertisements

About DevonTexas

I am a person with ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) which means my kidneys don't work. Forty or so years ago that would have been a death sentence but today there is Dialysis which means I can be hooked up to a machine that will clean my blood as the kidneys should. Three days a week, I go to a center and have too very large needles stuck in my arm to remove and replace my blood as it passes through a process where it's cleaned and the fluid is removed, a process taking a little over four hours each time. I want to advance knowledge about dialysis so that other patients can learn from my experience and mistakes. We shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel, eh? There is so much to be learned and experienced about our predicament. There are vast resources available to support us and enrich our lives but many patients don't know about them. There are also many issues that we have to deal with whether we want to or not. So I blog about them. All comments are confidential until I approve them. If you don't want your comment public, let me know and I will respect that. So, feel free to leave a comment. Enjoy.
This entry was posted in Access, Affordable Care Act, Dialysis Patient Citizens, kidney, lobbying, Medicare, Uncategorized, World Kidney Day and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Dialysis and NPR

1. auntyuta says:

In the report it says:
    “For all the campaigning and schmoozing members of Congress have to do, the truth is that the vast majority of Americans will never actually meet their lawmakers.

To be fair, not everyone wants to. But among those who do, there’s serious competition for a lawmaker’s time. So, how does an average citizen get access on Capitol Hill? The quick answer: It’s not easy.

First, do the math. When it comes to face time with a member of Congress, there are 535 of them, and 314 million of you.”

Did you try to get access?

• DevonTexas says:

Yes, I should have made that more clear. We met with three Representatives, or rather their staff people, and two Senators’ staffs. We did meet with ONE Representative Marc Veasey of the Dallas area. He was attentive and asked good questions.

• auntyuta says:

This sounds like your visit was a great success, Devon. It is great that you take so much care to make known your special needs and that there are people who pay attention to people with these needs. Just knowing that people care must give you a great feeling. Good on you for doing this not just for yourself but for others too! 🙂

2. Sara says:

Congrats on NPR! I’m visiting Texas. What a change in so many years from Oregon!

3. cwbybrick says:

Followed & on my blog roll!